Monday 1 October 2012

a head in a bow


I only bowed my head
And the eyes that met it
Joined in a grandiose salutation.
May they understand when I smile
And cry with me when those tears drop.
When the heavens open
Stay longer at my side
And not fail the gentle dew on me
With its showering voices.

The basket is lifted off the fowl
And still the same place, it lay
Waiting a hand to throw corn.

Who said we are under a spell?
Wake up! Those sleepy eyes
Move those strong trunks
Let them say!
Black is ours, let’s keep it
Let us say:
In dignity, in pride
Free from shame
To build and protect, care and guide
In our service to man, land and God

Long ago the basket is lifted up
Long has it been our stay at this place
Why this ache:
Waiting and
Waiting a hand to throw corn? 

No comments:

Post a Comment