Thursday 3 May 2012

Born on the streets



I was born on the streets
I feel not shy there
Surrounded by the noise
My loneliness not to awake
But cheer; the passing glances
The passing cars as if different
From another planet

I was born on the streets
With the blue sky my roof
Seeing the bats drop the remains of their booty
By my bed; wet by their fall
The dew, the moist cool breeze
Showing visibly on me like sweat on my forehead

I was born on the streets
I walk among the empty cans
The mountain containers full
Of rubbish: hiding the clear
View of the sun; our food
 Its odor the flies kiss
And surrounds us like they do with mangoes

I was born on the streets
Chasing the cars for a sale
My dad; ice water
Plantain chips on her head
My mother; I learnt
To snatch their purses
Because I must survive.

I was not born but grew on the streets
Because of a shadow of a passing cloud
Which left not on my path
Its acid rain which fell burning
But on my royal gown of gold
My brothers me forsook as I grew here

I was born on the streets
To feel not the cold in winter
Nor the sun my heart to melt
Walk by it in the day my food to search
Like the vulture
Where no one else will

I was born on the streets
Like an outcast
They saw me ; my life
They bothered not until time for elections
When they come near to convince me
Walking among the cans with me

I was born with a golden  chest
On the streets my key to this chest
I found not; because my
Mind though ready and fertile
To embark on whatever
Journey, long or short; had not
The directions but to grope in this dark

I was born on the streets
I grew up and earned my bread there
I once slept there but not anymore
They will sleep in my house
If time and tide pass me by
Not to suffer like I did, on the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment