Thursday 25 February 2016

2015 UNESCO Poem of the day

What have I to say
Thou hope of the rising sun
What have I to show
As I stand before thy boisterous sea.
The sun still covers thy waves
With a peaceful  sleep within its noisy rage;
Oh deserted places of habitation
Enough of the tears trickling down from thy mournful  drums.
I weep for thee because thy hands are tied at thy back;
Indeed by thine very same are they tied
To suffocate at the watch of thy own:
Thy own rude work.
I see thee show thy waist beads to the sky
Men in their youth I see
Without cutlasses in the planting season.
I watched and behold  like an orphan thou arth
When thy parents still liveth.
As the bare earth blows freely thy heirloom´s dust
And suck out thy bequitted nectar,
Thy gathering shall be like clouds without rain
And oh wobbling  feet, into shame
Thy gray hair´s crown will be brought down;
But when thou leapeth  thy best foot forward to embrace  
May it not reap the whirlwind.

No comments:

Post a Comment